WOE is me

di·et
/ˈdīət/
noun
1. the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
"a vegetarian diet"
synonyms: selection of food, food, foodstuffs; informal grub, nosh
"health problems related to your diet"
2. a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.
"I'm going on a diet"
verb
1. restrict oneself to small amounts or special kinds of food in order to lose weight.
"it's difficult to diet"
synonyms: be on a diet, eat sparingly; lose weight, watch one's weight, reduce, slenderize; crash-diet "she dieted for most of her life"
We tend to use the word diet to mean a way to eat in order to lose weight (or meet other health goals) with the implication being that it is short term and once your goal is reached you can go off your diet. Well, wouldn't that be nice? Most everyone who has tried that approach realizes that just does not work. It has to be a long-term commitment in order to get the benefit. This is particularly true for those of us managing chronic health issues such as diabetes, hypertension and/or high cholesterol. The only way to manage those health concerns are with lifelong lifestyle change.

I prefer to think of the dietary regime I follow as my WOE (Way Of Eating). It's not short term and, although it is "tweaked" from time to time it is the way I will eat for the rest of my life (unless I inexplicably develop a death wish).

In order to be effective it really has to become part of your lifestyle. Not something you are doing, rather it has to be the way you are living. Someone told me long ago "You don't go on a diet ... you have a diet". It stuck with me all these years even though I never really put it into practice until I was faced with some serious health issues. I've been eating low carb for over 8 years now and really turned it up after my stroke (3 years ago as of Jan. 8th) and started intermittent fasting 18 months ago and can actually say it is now just my way of eating and a normal part of my daily life.

Dieting always starts "tomorrow" ... lifestyle changes start NOW.
Ever known a drunk or a junkie? Ever notice that they are always going to quit drinking or kick "tomorrow"?
Coincidence?

"I still indulge in a glass of wine or chocolate - treats are mandatory. Without deviating from the day-to-day healthy diet once in a while, it wouldn't be sustainable for me, and that's what I wanted: an approach to eating to last my entire life." ~ Alanis Morissette

"Want to learn to eat a lot? Here it is: Eat a little. That way, you will be around long enough to eat a lot." ~ Tony Robbins

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people." ~ Orson Welles

"I don't stop eating when I'm full. The meal isn't over when I'm full. It's over when I hate myself." ~ Louis C. K.