No Whey!

Whey Protein Concentrate ... an anabolic protein supplement used by bodybuilders and powerlifters.
While I am neither, I do try and consume about 50 grams of the supplement each day in an attempt to increase my protein intake. I shoot for 90 - 100 grams total protein a day and given that I really do not eat very much meat it is much harder than I thought it would be. A few years back, in an attempt to lose weight, I foolishly lowered my daily caloric intake to less than 1000 kcal per day ... oh, I lost weight alright ... and quite a bit of muscle mass. Couple that with the effects of my stroke and I found myself in serious need of "bulking up" (increased muscle mass, as well as anaerobic exercise, are known to improve insulin sensitivity). I have been lifting weights ever since my stroke, but a recent bout with anemia highlighted the fact that I simply was not getting enough protein in my diet.


Of curds and whey. Whey is a byproduct of the cheese making process. Milk is coagulated (curdled) and those resulting curds are then pressed to extract the liquid (the whey). That whey can be dried and turned into Whey Protein Concentrate ... the least processed form of whey protein (the others being isolate and hydrolyzed). It is a great source of protein containing up to 89% protein by weight. My preference is an unsweetened, unflavored type that I buy in bulk. You can pay $25 or more per pound but I get mine at Sprout's for $9 a pound ... when it's not on sale.

Shake it up. One of the advantages of consuming whey protein that I was surprised and very pleased to discover are the benefits for diabetics. Whey protein stimulates insulin release so it aids in the absorption of circulating glucose. Plus it has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity ... which really is my ultimate goal. I like to mix the concentrate up into a "meal replacement shake" using whole milk, kefir, cocoa, chia and/or flax seeds and coconut ... but the possibilities are endless.

I've provided links below to sites that offer much more detailed information as to the benefits of whey  ... enjoy!



Yes Whey!