Soup II (electric boogaloo)

It seems I have had a "thing" for Asian style soups lately. Last night it was egg drop soup with green peas and tofu. I make these soups fresh, usually single servings. I don't follow (or make) recipes; In fact, I seldom even measure anything. I have actually received some culinary training*, so it's not as though I am unable to follow, or even write recipes, I just prefer "improvisational" cooking (more on that in the future).
So, for those that are curious about my soup "recipe" ...

Most all start with pretty much the same base (measurements are estimates)

  • Chicken stock 2 cups
  • 1 Tbsp chicken "Better Than Boullion"
  • Finely diced fresh ginger 2 tsp
  • Finely diced scallions 2-3 (depending on size) white in the soup, dice the tops for a garnish just before serving
  • Finely diced garlic 1 clove
  • Chili paste (NOT Siracha! photo of what I use below) depending on how daring you are and how hot the chili paste you get is a couple tsp is probably a safe starting point,
  • Shoyu (aka soy sauce) 2 Tbsp
  • Sesame oil 5-6 drops 
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • Black pepper and Chinese 5-spice to taste

Combine all ingredients in a pan, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 20 - 30 minutes. If I am doing a soup with fresh vegetables I'd add them as soon as the base was boiling. For this soup, I then added frozen green peas (1/2 cup) and some diced firm tofu returned the base to a full boil then lightly beat 2 eggs in a measuring cup and poured them slowly into the boiling soup. Immediately shut off the fire and cover the pan. I let it stand for maybe two minutes as I get my bowl ready with a bit more shoyu and sesame oil. Pour the soup into the bowl, top with the diced green onion top (cilantro is good too). Do not overcook the eggs or they will be "rubbery" ... and no one likes "rubbery" eggs.
You can keep this very low carb and with the tofu, it has a good amount of protein. I find it very filling ... in fact as I post this it is the 23rd hour of my fast since eating the egg drop soup. Tonight some sort of vegetable soup ... stay tuned.

Enjoy!


I'll try and remember to post other soups I make with the list of ingredients that go with the basic broth. 

 


*I worked for a number of years in the food and beverage industry and at one point was the "chef" of a small restaurant ... head cook would be more accurate ... and eventually restaurant manager

... doing this reminded me of why, and how much, I hate recipes